The Cut Story

Here it is in David’s words:

Here's the story of the finger.  While we were driving across the country we purchased a bag of Cheetos.  Wyatt woke up from a nap and was really fussy and said he wanted Cheetos.  I didn't want to just give him a handful so I looked for a cup to put them in.  We didn't have a cup, so I figured I would make one out of a plastic bottle.  Two days earlier I had got a new knife for Christmas (we opened up Christmas presents from the family before we left) and I pulled it out.  I was in a hurry and when I started to cut I put as much pressure as my little key chain knife would have needed to cut through.  My knew knife is much, much sharper than my key chain knife and it went right through the bottle and through the pad of the last joint on my left pointer finger (see the picture to see where).  It hit the bone at the deepest point.  It started bleeding (a lot) and I wrapped it up with some toilet paper (Megan keeps a roll in the car to use for tissues) and we got off the next exit at a grocery store.  Megan spoke with some people in the parking lot and they said the closest place to go for help was Denver. 

We called Jordan and he started looking for an urgent care facility and Megan and I bandaged the cut with the first aid kit in our car (I've decided that having one in cars is a good idea).  We got back on the freeway and we were about 15 minutes from the outskirts of Denver (coming from the east) and by the time we hit the beltway Jordan had found an Urgent care clinic that was open and could stitch me that was on that side of town. 

We ended up at Rocky Mountain Urgent Care in Aurora, Colorado and I went in.  Meanwhile, Megan took the boys to McDonanld’s and they played on the toys there.  Inside, I filled out forms and they had me back in a room about 20 minutes after I walked in the door and a nurse cleaned the cut.  I then started soaking it and there was a little geyser of blood coming out, so we took it out and compressed it some more.  The doctor came in and started working on me.  My finger was pretty numb at that point but she still gave me a couple shots to numb it completely which helped a lot. 

It took three internal stitches to get the bleeding stopped and then eight more to close up the cut for a total of eleven stitches.  All in all it took about 45 minutest to stop the bleeding and stitch it because it took a while to get the one artery to stop bleeding.  Interestingly, one point on my finger didn't numb and so I very clearly felt one stitch coming out (and it's an interesting experience to get stabbed with a needle from the inside out) but the other 21 pokes were painless.  They put some topical antibiotics on it and wrapped it up and two hours after I had cut it, and one hour after I got to the clinic I was stitched up. 

In the future, I'm definitely going to an urgent care place before an ER if possible because it is much faster and my experience was excellent.  It has now been almost 10 days since I was cut and I'll take out the stitches tomorrow.  The cut is healing well and I'm optimistic that I'll be able to type with it again by the time school starts.

2011-12-18 18.18.53

This is one week later shortly before the stitches came out.